Saturday, April 15, 2006


A couple of weeks ago, I was called in for an interview with a local school district for the position of Tech Coordinator. Keep in mind that they are the ones who contacted me.

I walked into the conference room and was looked at in a manner that I really didn’t like. It was the look of “he’s too young”. It didn’t matter that I had all the experience required for the position (minus experience in writing grants, which really aren’t that hard to do), that I carry myself with dignity, and act in a relaxed yet professional manner. I was sitting on the other side of the table from a group composed of people anywhere from 40-60 or so years old who were basically going down their checklist and not showing any interest in me as a candidate because I was younger than they were.

Funny, I thought that we were all adults here.

The “no thank you” letter came today, not that it was a surprise after their behavior in the interview.

If you aren’t seriously interested in me as a possible member of your organization, then don’t contact me. My time is important to me and I do not really care for being jerked around, nor do I care for paying for travel expenses to speak with a company or organization which has no intention of hiring me.

People, I have development experience. I have experience in leading a team, and I have firsthand experience in how business works from my work on a startup. I am not an unqualified individual, and I expect at least a little professionalism in the way I am treated because I give it to others.

That said, if anyone is honestly interested in hiring me, please feel free to contact me. the email address is james@jameshollingshead.com

Current mood: annoyed
Current music: Thousand Foot Krutch - move

No comments: