Monday, October 10, 2005



Ever have one of those times that re-affirmed that the divine has a sense of humor and you’re part of it? This past weekend was one of those.

I drive to Athens to meet with some people on Friday. Meeting goes as planned and is rather short, so I go and see a few of my former co-workers while I wait for my s/o to get out of class.

Everything is normal up to this point, so I get to her apartment and we get ready to go to dinner.

The car won’t start. It’s dark, cold, raining, and the car is kaput. I didn’t bring a jacket because I didn’t think I’d need it.

Boy was I wrong.

Half an hour or so out in the rain and cold trying to see if I could find the problem only got me cold, wet, and frustrated. We decided that I’m going to spend the night at her place, order pizza, and I’ll look at the problem when there’s real light again.

The next morning, I determine that the only problem seems to be that the battery has died (the door was probably ajar). The only catch is that everyone I knew in town and had a number for wasn’t in town.

A couple more hours of being damp, cold and frustrated and I get a jump start and make my way home wanting nothing more than to take a hot shower and crawl into a warm bed in order to stave off the flu that I’m afraid is going to hit me for being outside in the cold and wet for hours without a coat.

The fun doesn’t stop here.

At 5am, the smoke detector goes off, practically sending me on a trajectory toward the wall by way of the ceiling.

False alarm. The dust thrown by the furnace kicking on for the first time since last spring set off the alarm.

After swallowing my heart again, I try to get back to sleep.

So much for de-stressing with my girlfriend this weekend.

Oh well. At lest I’ve made some headway with the articles and this week is looking up a bit.

Current mood: tired
Current music: Weird Al – Dare to be Stupid

No comments: