Sunday, October 02, 2005


LinuxCon: Geeks, Resumes, and Models

That kind of sums up LinuxCon Saturday. There were a great many geeks (a frightening number who fit the stereotypes), some interesting talks, and several vendors.

Thankfully the trip up and back was relatively uneventful and no real trouble was had in finding parking. When I’m in Columbus, this is always a major sanity saver because I tend to suck at navigating there. To give you an idea, a friend of mine attending the same event got lost several times and he had on board GPS.

I decided to take a novel approach to the job-hunting game and wore a sign on my backpack that was basically a mini cover letter. This got me quite a deal of attention, several people wishing they did it, and led to my giving away my resume to several interested parties (some of which are going to pass it along to higher ups that they know, including one at IBM). On that front, I’d say things worked out pretty well.

The real fun, however, came in because there was also a talent search for models at the convention center and I ended up getting flirted with a bit by several of them.

All-in-all it was a good day. Fun was had, I met quite a few cool people that I want to keep in touch with, passed out some resumes to interested people, and even met the guys and girls who run NotACon (another con in Cleveland).

Unfortunately, I had to cut out early because I started getting sick again, so I missed the after-party that the NotACon guys were throwing. Starting to feel better again though, so it’s all good.

Other than getting sick again, there was only one bad moment at the con. I saw someone who looked almost *exactly* like Richard Stallman. I had to resist the urge to run over to him and knock him in the head with something heavy. I’m so glad that I have decent impulse control =]

Current mood: happy
Current music: Eiffel 65 - Hyperlink

No comments: