Thursday, November 02, 2006



A few minutes ago, I was sitting stock still, staring in awe.

At my television.

A lot of people who know me know how sick I am of the spin and double talk on the news every night and in the papers every morning.

Tonight was a totally different matter.

While flipping through the channels, I happened to land on MSNBC. To be more specific, I happened to land on Keith Olbermann opening a king sized can of whopass on the commander in chimp. (The article, which is a basic transcript of his speech, may be found here)

He called the president on his transparent attempts to keep a one party government, of his fear of any sort of checks and balances to his power, accused him of having not an imperial but a UNILATERAL presidency (which is very true), and basically accused Bush of trying to twist everything negative about him into an attack on the American people when it was really an attack on Bush himself.

Hell, he came right out and called Bush a liar in almost as many words. He also made the statement of Bush that “it is both convenient and personally satisfying to you, to confuse yourself with the country for which, sir, you work.”

He then proceeded to say that Bush’s only legacy will have been a “willingness to make anything political,” and called for Bush to apologize to both the troops and the American people.

He didn’t stop there, however. Read the article. I swear it deserves an award.

It was a thing of beauty to behold. I honestly wanted to cheer. The man deserved a standing ovation. It’s about time that somebody did something like this openly, vocally, with the full force of their convictions, and on a medium that millions of people watch, read, and trust (as much as we can trust the news anymore).

To top it off, this well deserved tirade was ended with the rather appropriate Edward R. Murrow quote “good night, and good luck.”

I was in awe of this much needed outburst, delivered, as it was, with righteous indignation (which was also extremely appropriate). It was refreshing, and I hope I am not the only person out there who feels that way.

Current mood: wow
Current music: Linkin Park – In the End

No comments: